119 Acres with recreation includes hiking through a fantastic cave/gorge area, camping, picnic shelter/house, play ground and a handicapped shower house/restroom. Ten camping sites are available; camping fees are available upon request at 740-472-1328.
Shelter house areas are available on a first-come, first-serve basis or by reservation. Call 740-472-1328 for reservations.
Shelter house — elect & water Restrooms — flush toilets & showers
The Monroe County Park Board purchased the 119 acres in 1979 from John & Shelbia Perry who are descendants of Adda & Isaac Piatt. In 1984 the Park District developed a camping area with water and electrical hook ups, restrooms and a large picnic shelter. These facilities were constructed with labor from the carpentry class at the Swiss Hills Vocational School. In 1999 the Park District completed a $40,000 Nature Works Grant project at this facility.
The Ohio Department of Natural Resources and the Park District combined their resources in order to create a new handicapped accessible shower house/restroom, playground and a new staircase to the rock shelter. Labor for the grant project was provided by the Swiss Hills Vocational High School’s Maintenance and Carpentry classes.
The hiking trails that lead to the rock shelter reward travelers with a very special scenic view into a remarkable natural gorge. The uniqueness of this natural setting will provide hikers with memories that will not soon be forgotten. Wild turkey, deer and black bear are among some of the larger species of wildlife that may be encountered in this truly special place.